History

Our initial landmark moment dates back to 1935

The history of Grupo Jaime Câmara is closely connected to the history of the people of Goiás and Tocantins. For more than 80 years, GJC vehicles have not only told the story of local society and of the development that has taken place in the central and northern regions of brazil, they have also taken an active role in this process. It all started with the J. Câmara e Companhia paper and supplies shop and printing press, created by the partners Jaime Câmara and Henrique Pinto Vieira, in the former capital of the State of Goiás, in 1935, early in the 20 th century. The company soon moved to Goiânia, seeking the growth opportunities that the new capital would offer. In 1937, under the leadership of the brothers Jaime Câmara, Joaquim Câmara Filho and Vicente Rebouças Câmara the company is transferred to the new capital and changes its name to J. Câmara & Irmãos.

 

Multimedia communication in the DNA

Grupo Jaime Câmara takes its first steps towards development when, on April 3rd , 1938, the first issue of the newspaper O Popular rolled off the presses. In 1961, the Group opens Radio Anhanguera, as the first radio station was then called. This pioneering vehicle of communication has been renamed and is now called CBN Anhanguera AM. Two years later, in 1963, TV Anhanguera makes its debut. It is the first TV station to retransmit Network signals in this region, thereby establishing a leadership role among different segments of the public.

 

Expansion

During the subsequent years, Grupo Jaime Câmara opened more than ten new television stations. All of them broadcast regional shows in addition to the shows that are part of the Rede Globo broadcast schedule. The group also opened seven AM and FM radio stations, which started broadcasting in 1979. The second daily newspaper, Jornal do Tocantins, also opened in the same year and served as a spokesperson for the campaign to create the State of Tocantins, which happened in 1988.

The 21st century brought to Grupo Jaime Câmara the opportunity to change and expand once more. The growing changes taking place in the platforms used by the public caused the Group to invest in new technologies. This meant the acquisition of modern vehicles and infrastructure, aimed at offering the public a faster, easier, more practical and convenient access to the on line pages of the newspapers O Popular and Jornal do Tocantins. New digital portals were also made available.

Beginning in 2007, Jornal Daqui, the third newspaper opened by the Group, becomes a national phenomenon: it has one of the most significant growth rates in the history of newspaper circulation and newsstand sales. It ranks 3rd in the country, according to data from the Instituto Verificador de Circulação. During the next year, TV Anhanguera makes a head start, and becomes the first television station affiliated to Rede Globo and the fourth station in the country to broadcast digital signal. In 2013, the Group launches the Daqui Tocantins newspaper.

SITE MAP

Copyright © 2001-2014, J. Câmara e Irmãos S/A. All rights reserved.
Português - English - Español